Financial Fairy Tales -- #2
If we all just believe -- Tinkerbelle will come back.
It makes a great story --but is you retirement tied to wishful thinking -- do you just need to believe?
Those that use this lovely fairy tale to sell investments leave out a lot of the details.
Details hidden by fairy tales like these and the (reality they hide):
- stocks always come back (even if it takes fifty years)
- its different this time (its always different - but trees still grow - die - and fall)
- the government knows how to control the economy (never has - never will)
- this is a safe blue chip investment (blue chips are still gambling chips)
- buy the dips (great in a bull - disaster in a bear)
- buy more and your average price will be lower (think how many shares you can get at a penny each - just before they go to zero)
- the price is down due to profit taking (who makes a profit on lower prices?)
Keep the belief in fairy tale endings for the fairy tales.
Think for yourself.
Markets do not always come back - within your lifetime. Even countries and societies eventually fail.
Mere investments are burning matches - don't hold one too long. Don't try to get that last 10%, look instead for a new speculation that has just taken off.
Use that pixie dust to fly with a new trend.
If you are to live happily ever after - prepare for sudden and long term change.